We are drawing closer to the deadline for our annual short story contest! Do you have a story all Albertans should read? Send it to us! You could win $1000 and have your original story published in an upcoming issue of Alberta Views.
1. The contest is open to all current or former (long-term) residents of Alberta except employees of Alberta Views.
2. The fee for entering one piece of fiction is $30. There is no limit to the number of stories you can enter as long as each is accompanied with an entry fee (two entries = $60, three entries = $90, etc.)
3. Each entry fee of $30 includes a one-year (10 issues) subscription to Alberta Views. If you subscribe to Alberta Views, each entry fee will extend your subscription for another year. Alternatively, entrants may gift their subscription to another person; please include name and mailing address of gift recipient on your cover letter. Entry fees are non-refundable.
4. Stories must be no longer than 3000 words. Entries exceeding 3,000 words will be disqualified.
5. Entries must be accompanied by a single cover page that includes the following:
Your name, complete mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
Title of all your entries.
Word count of each entry.
6. All entries in this contest will be judged anonymously, on merit alone. The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the pages of the story itself.
7. Entries must be typed, double-spaced, on 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper. Please use Times New Roman, 12pt font. Please do not send originals.
8. Entries must not be previously published. Should an entry be accepted for publication elsewhere after the contest deadline but before the winning entry has been announced, the author must notify Alberta Views immediately.
9. The judge’s decision is final. One winner will receive a prize of $1,000, and at the discretion of the publisher, the winning entry will be published in an upcoming issue and edited for consistency with Alberta Views‘ house style (font, spacing, etc.).
10. The deadline to enter submissions is July 4, 2016.
To enter online:
To pay your fee: Click here to pay online; or mail a cheque to 208-320 23 Ave SW, Calgary, AB, T2S 0J2; or phone us directly toll free at 1 877 212 5334, then e-mail your entry/entries and cover letter in .txt or .doc format to: email@example.com with “Fiction Submission” in the subject line.
To enter via mail:
Print your entries and your cover letter, then mail them, along with your payment, to the following address:
2016 Short Story Contest
208–320 23 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2S 0J2
Or you can pay for your entries over the phone toll free (within Alberta) at 1 877 212 5334.
We must receive both entries and payment before the deadline in order for entries to be eligible.
Some of our previous winners: