The Alberta Views 2014 Short Story Contest
2014 Contest Rules
Have you written a story all Albertans should read? Send it to us! You could win $1,000 and have your writing published in Alberta Views. Deadline to enter is June 30, 2014.
2014 Fiction Contest Guidelines:
- The contest is open to all residents of Alberta except employees of Alberta Views.
- The fee for entering one piece of fiction is $30. There is no limit to the number of stories you can enter as long as each is accompanied with an entry fee (two entries = $60, three entries = $90, etc.)
- Each entry fee of $30 includes a one-year (10 issues) subscription to Alberta Views. If you subscribe to Alberta Views, each entry fee will extend your subscription for another year. Alternatively, entrants may gift their subscription to another person; please include name and mailing address of gift recipient on your cover letter. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Stories must be no longer than 3000 words. Entries exceeding 3,000 words will be disqualified.
- Entries must be accompanied by a single cover page that includes the following:
a. Your name, complete mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
b. Title of all your entries.
c. Word Count of each entry.
- All entries in this contest will be judged anonymously, on merit alone. The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the pages of the story itself.
- Entries must be typed, double-spaced, on 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper. Please use Times New Roman, 12pt font. Please do not send originals.
- Entries must not be previously published. Should an entry be accepted for publication elsewhere after the contest deadline but before the winning entry has been announced, the author must notify Alberta Views immediately.
- The judge’s decision is final. One winner will receive a prize of $1,000, and at the discretion of the publisher, the winning entry will be published in our December 2014 issue and edited for consistency with Alberta Views‘ house style (font, spacing, etc.).
- The deadline to enter submissions is June 30, 2014.
To enter online:
Use the subscription form below to pay your entry fee, then e-mail your entry/entries and cover letter in .txt or .doc format to: email@example.com with “Fiction Submission” in the subject line.
To enter via mail:
Print your entries and your cover letter, then mail them, along with your payment, to the following address:
2014 Short Story Contest
208–320 23 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2S 0J2
Or you can pay for your entries over the phone toll free (within Alberta) at 1 877 212 5334.
We must receive both entries and payment before the deadline in order for entries to be eligible.
Do I get feedback about my story?
Story evaluations will not be offered.
Does the story have to be about Alberta?
You must be a resident of Alberta; the story itself does not have to be about Alberta.
Should I include the title of my story in the word count?
No, your word count should not include the title of your story.
Call or e-mail if you have any questions, we are happy to help. Good luck!
The 2014 Surprising Alberta Photo Contest
Do you have a surprising view of Alberta? Enter our photo contest for a chance to win $1,000 and to have your photo published in an upcoming issue of Alberta Views!
2014 Photo Contest Guidelines:
The winner will be awarded $1,000 and published in Alberta Views in 2014.
All entries must include a short statement of intent (including location and subject matter, max. 150 words).
Photos will be judged anonymously. Your name must NOT appear in the image, filename or on the statement of intent.
All entries must be original and unpublished.
All photos should be submitted as a jpeg or pdf and be under 20 MB in size. Send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, mailing address phone number and email address in a separate document or cover letter. Submission to the contest gives Alberta Views a one-time right to publish your work in our magazine and on our website.
Your first entry costs $30; subsequent entries cost $15 each. All entries include a one-year (10 issue) subscription to Alberta Views which can be kept or gifted to family, friends or a local library. If you submit more than one entry, please include the name and mailing addresses of the people or organizations you want your extra subscriptions to go to. If no one else is specified, we will add 10 issues to your own subscription for each additional $15 entry submitted.
To pay your fee: use the subscription form below; or mail us a cheque to 208, 320 23 Ave SW, Calgary, AB, T2S 0J2; or phone us directly toll free at 1 877 212 5334.
The contest is open to residents of Alberta and Alberta expats. Professional and amateur photographers are eligible. Employees of Alberta Views are ineligible.
The deadline for submissions is February 28, 2014. We must have received both your payment and your files by the deadline for your entries to be eligible.